The course is attractive to students who:
- Have an interest and enthusiasm for science, both theoretical and practical work
- Are well motivated and organised
- Are interested in studying science to a high level or who wish to work in a science-based industry
The BTEC National Extended Certificate in Applied Science is equivalent to one A level
Learning will take place through:
- Teacher led activities introducing new material
- The use of specialist textbooks and exam board based learning activities
- Using practical work to develop both practical and interpretive skills
- Using practice questions in preparation for the written exam and tasks set by the exam board
- Working in groups to discuss and develop ideas
Enrichment activities and independent learning
There will be informal drop in / revision sessions available to support classroom learning and aid student progress throughout the course.
You will be expected to work more independently and take responsibility for your own learning as well as be prepared to work as part of a group, giving and receiving help from other students.
The course provides a specialst work related qualification for the science sector. You will develop your scientific practical skills and knowledge through the following mandatory units:
- Principles and Applications of Science 1 - Periodicity and properties of elements, structure and functions of cells and tissues, waves in communication
- Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques - Titration, colorimetry, chromatographic techniques
- Science Investigation Skills - Planning a scientific investigation, data collection, processing and analysis/interpretation, drawing conclusions and evaluation
One additional unit is also studied.
Through your studies you will also:
- Source and provide well-researched information
- Work as part of a team
- Present a logical argument coherently and clearly
- Solve problems in totally new situations
- Show initiative and imagination
Assessment is 58% external and 42% internal as follows:
Principles and Applications of Science 1
- Written exam 1 hour 30 minutes
- Externally marked
- 90 guided learning hours
Science Investigation Skills
- Task set and marked externally with practical investigation
- 120 guided learning hours
Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques
- Practical and written internal assessment
- 90 guided learning hours
- Internally assessed
- 60 guided learning hours
Students may go onto university or college to study science based degrees or go straight into employment.
The skills and experience gained from this course will increase employability in any career but particularly in science related fields, such as technician work in schools or industrial companies.
Students who have studied this course, for example, have progressed to university to study a wide variety of subjects including forensics and microbiology.